The Liberal Hate Machine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Seth MacFarlane Animated Comedy?

5 posters

Go down

Which Seth MacFarlane Animated Show is the Best?

Best Seth MacFarlane Animated Comedy? Vote_lcap25%Best Seth MacFarlane Animated Comedy? Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 1 ]
Best Seth MacFarlane Animated Comedy? Vote_lcap75%Best Seth MacFarlane Animated Comedy? Vote_rcap 75% 
[ 3 ]
Best Seth MacFarlane Animated Comedy? Vote_lcap0%Best Seth MacFarlane Animated Comedy? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 4

Best Seth MacFarlane Animated Comedy? Empty Best Seth MacFarlane Animated Comedy?

Post by Flagg Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:35 pm

So, between Family Guy, American Dad, and the now cancelled The Cleveland Show, which is your favorite or one you think is the best?

My vote? American Dad. It's consistantly funnier than Family Guy, has better characters, and goes over the top with comedic violence in a way Family Guy can barely imitate.
Flagg
Flagg
Admin

https://liberalhatemachine.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Best Seth MacFarlane Animated Comedy? Empty Re: Best Seth MacFarlane Animated Comedy?

Post by Darksi4190 Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:49 pm

I used to prefer Family Guy, but ever since I watched the Season 6 American Dad christmas episode (the one where Steve gets a gun and they battle Santa), I've preferred that series.

Neither of them hold a candle to Futurama though.

Darksi4190

Back to top Go down

Best Seth MacFarlane Animated Comedy? Empty Re: Best Seth MacFarlane Animated Comedy?

Post by Flagg Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:51 pm

I stopped watching Futurama when it went to Comedy Central. I was so used to the single commercial break on adult swim I couldn't adjust. I'll probably buy the season sets though when the show is done after this season.
Flagg
Flagg
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Darksi4190 Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:52 pm

assuming it doesn't get renewed again. That series is surprisingly hard to kill.

Darksi4190

Back to top Go down

Post by Flagg Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:55 pm

Darksi4190 wrote:assuming it doesn't get renewed again. That series is surprisingly hard to kill.

Personally I'd like to see Family Guy cancelled but its reached Simpsons status of self sustained reaction. Unfortunately after this season on Fox American Dad will be moved to TBS so I dunno how long it will last.
Flagg
Flagg
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by evilsoup Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:59 pm

American Dad is the only one that's actually funny more often than not. On Family Guy the characters are too mean and stupid, and it has descended into just doing an offensive thing and saying 'that's the joke'.

evilsoup

Back to top Go down

Post by Flagg Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:07 pm

I'm surprised at how many people like American Dad more, TBH. I find offensive shit funny but it's gotta be clever and Family Guy has long stopped being that. They still manage to squeeze out a shiny turd worth watching every now and then though, something the Simpsons has long stopped doing.
Flagg
Flagg
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by evilsoup Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:22 pm

god what the fuck happened to the Simpsons
every once in a while I'll watch an old episode and be reminded that this show not only used to be funny, it used to have heart.

Like the episode where Homer has to have a heart bypass, and has to go to the shitty Dr. Nick Riviera (any surgery for ninety-nine ninety-five!) because the workers at the plant traded their health insurance for a pinball machine. And although it is funny --- and it is very funny -- Homer's obviously horrified about the shitty hospital, but doesn't let that show in front of the kids. Lisa spends days and nights pouring through medical textbooks reading about the surgery because it calms her down, and Marge is a bit worried about this behaviour.

It also has the line 'we're the MTV generation, we feel neither highs nor lows'

'Oh. How does that feel?'

'Eh.'

So it's funny, it's got these great lines, and the characters act like real human beings (well not quite, there's still exaggeration etc.), and the pathos feeds into te comedy and the comedy feeds into the pathos.

Contrast that with modern-day Simpsons, or any of the MacFarlane shows, where the characters are one-dimensional caricatures whose personalities can take a 180-degree change for the sake of a shitty one-liner... I don't care about them. The laughs, when there are any, are cheap and transitory. It has no staying power.

evilsoup

Back to top Go down

Post by Flagg Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:28 pm

Yeah the old Simpsons episodes are now unwatchable for me because its painful to think its now just a shambling corpse feeding on the dollars of idiots. The scary shit is that there are people who are alive now, watching the show, who weren't even alive when it was good. But I still love "You Only Move Twice".
Flagg
Flagg
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by evilsoup Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:30 pm

jesus that is fucking scary
I'm only 23 how are you making me feel old, stop it

evilsoup

Back to top Go down

Post by Razorgeist Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:32 am

I never really got into American Dad or The Cleveland Show so my vote goes towards Family Guy. That being said I dont really watch family Guy anymore either.
Razorgeist
Razorgeist

Back to top Go down

Post by Darksi4190 Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:47 am

That's the kicker isn't it. I don't know anyone who still watches Family Guy or the Simpsons, especially the latter, pretty much everyone has admitted to them basically being zombies of their former selves, yet somehow they still maintain enough of an audience to fund season after season after season.

Darksi4190

Back to top Go down

Post by Razorgeist Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:24 am

And now they're crossing over.
Razorgeist
Razorgeist

Back to top Go down

Post by Darksi4190 Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:19 pm

huh?

Darksi4190

Back to top Go down

Post by Flagg Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:09 am

Darksi4190 wrote:huh?

Family Guy and Simpsons are doing a crossover episode in 2014.
Flagg
Flagg
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Razorgeist Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:56 am

Flagg wrote:
Darksi4190 wrote:huh?

Family Guy and Simpsons are doing a crossover episode in 2014.

I wonder if Matt Groening is gonna throw a hissy fit like he did when they did that crossover with "The Critic".
Razorgeist
Razorgeist

Back to top Go down

Post by Flagg Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:01 am

I doubt he even cares at this point as long as Fox keeps the dump trucks full of money backing up into his front yard. Laughing
Flagg
Flagg
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by evilsoup Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:42 pm

that's a shitting terrible idea
now, King of the Hill crossing over with Family Guy, that could be entertaining

evilsoup

Back to top Go down

Post by Flagg Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:30 pm

Hehehehehehehehehehehe Propane
Flagg
Flagg
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Razorgeist Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:49 am

Look could I just get a revival of "The Critic" or "Clerks TAS" is that too much to ask.
Razorgeist
Razorgeist

Back to top Go down

Post by Fiery Little One Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:10 pm

American Dad over Family Guy, never really got into The Cleveland Show, and besides he never seemed like a main character the way Peter or Stan do. Part of my reasoning in American Dad over Family Guy is... the cutaways. For example I've grown to hate the words "Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Conway Twitty." If you're going to do a cutaway, keep it short and relevant.
Fiery Little One
Fiery Little One

Back to top Go down

Post by Flagg Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:33 pm

The Cleveland Show was just black Family Guy, cutaways and all.
Flagg
Flagg
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum